Friday, July 12, 2013

Things that suck about being 43: #1



Things that suck about being 43:

#1

No one told me that I would run out of time to do crazy stuff.  There is a socially accepted and very limited window of time wherein you are able to do certain things like get a nontraditional piercing, dye your hair an odd color, take a road trip to nowhere, wear strange clothes/shoes, wear bikinis, swear.  Had I known, would I have done more of them when I was younger?  I think I may have been more conservative at 18 than I am at 43 (and I moved 2000 miles away from home, went to Art College, and lived in a hotel). 

Unfortunately, what I want to do is never the thing I should be doing as a 43 year old mother of seven and soon to be grandmother of 3.  I want to dye my hair purple, no blue, maybe magenta!  I want to get my ear pierced – forward helix.  I want to wear too much makeup, too much jewelry and tight jeans.  I want to leave town and all this adultness for a long weekend.  I want to ride a motorcycle to nowhere.  I wish I didn't look foolish in pigtails.  I want a henna tattoo.

I’m profoundly sad that I am too old or too fat to do so many fun things.  What would the women at church think?  What would my family say?  I would look like the crazy old woman who is trying too hard.  I hate it when people try too hard.  I think I may have missed my window.


                                                                                                                    maybe not...


No comments:

Post a Comment